The actual “first hospital” in Sherman County was opened in 1923 and was a collaborative effort between the county and the Methodist Church. The cost of the facility was around $100,000 and was jointly-funded by Sherman County and the Northwest Kansas Methodist Church District.
The Facility was named the “Goodland Methodist Hospital & Training School for Nurses,” and had a red-brick exterior along with two stories for patient care services as well as a basement. The original hospital had a total of 24 patient beds. The hospital’s nursing school produced a total of 21 graduates during the eight years of its existence. Student nurses had three years of training at the hospital and did their clinical studies in Denver, Colo., and Omaha, Neb. The nursing school was discontinued in 1931.
The facility’s name was changed to the “Boothroy Memorial Hospital” in 1929 due to a donation of land from Joseph Boothroy in honor of his wife, Hulda Emma Boothroy. The facility experienced a significant upgrade after World War II, as natural gas and indoor plumbing were added along with a new electric elevator for moving patients from floor to floor.
In 1953 an addition known as the “Sweet Annex” was built onto the hospital that provided 26 more patient beds and extended the basement to the east to accommodate an emergency and operating room, laboratory and x-ray services, and a dietary department.
The first hospital administrator was hired in 1951. Prior to that time, the director of nurses had served in this capacity. The hospital’s affiliation with the Methodist Church ended in 1967 after 44 years, and the facility’s name was then changed to the “Sherman County Boothroy Memorial Hospital.” In 1968, the name was again changed to the “Northwest Kansas Medical Center.”
In the mid-1960’s efforts began to replace the hospital with a new medical center. The initial bond issue in 1967 was defeated by the voters. However, a second bond issue for a $2.5 million 60-bed hospital was passed by the citizens of Sherman County in November of 1969 by an overwhelming margin. The groundbreaking ceremony was held on March 15, 1970, and work began on the new medical center on April 20, 1970, with Rhoads Construction of Goodland as the general contractor.
Officially named “Northwest Kansas Regional Medical Center,” dedication ceremonies took place on March 11, 1972, with numerous state and federal dignitaries in attendance. Following the transfer of patients from the old facility to the new building, the commencement of medical services began on March 17, 1972, with the hospital’s first baby being born about 90 minutes later!
There were no major changes to the hospital’s physical plant until the fall of 1995 when construction began on a new clinic for the visiting consultant-specialist program that had begun at the hospital in the mid-1970’s. The new clinic was completed in mid-1996 about the time that the hospital’s name changed for the final time to “Goodland Regional Medical Center.” The new specialist clinic added 9,000 square feet to the hospital and a total of 18 exam rooms for visiting consultants to use during their visits to Goodland.
During the construction phase, the hospital’s interior decor was updated with regard to new carpet and furniture, and several departments were either renovated or re-located for improved access to staff and service to patients. The total cost of the new outpatient clinic and other facility improvements came to $1.8 million at no cost to local taxpayers.
In the spring of 1997, the hospital began its second major addition, which had four separate phases:
- The ambulance entrance was reconfigured to better accommodate emergency vehicles and services.
- A new 8-suite physician clinic was built for local medical staff members.
- The maternity wing was remodeled to provide three birthing suites.
- The hospital’s pharmacy, tub-room, and nurses’ area was expanded and remodeled as well.
The $1.6 million enhancement to Goodland Regional Medical Center that was completed in May of 1999 was financed entirely by the hospital again with no expense to local taxpayers.
In July of 2017, Goodland Regional Medical center became a Centura Health managed facility. Goodland Regional Medical Center is a part of the Centura Health network of hospitals in Northwest Kansas. Being a part of this network allows Goodland Regional Medical Center to share resources with other hospitals in the network thus allowing for the best patient care available for all of the citizens of Sherman County and the surrounding area.
While its past service to the residents of the Tri-State Area of Northwest Kansas, Eastern Colorado, and Southwest Nebraska has been filled with many accomplishments, Goodland Regional Medical Center views the future with anticipation. It pledges to do all in its capabilities to fulfill its mission of:
Making The Communities We Serve Healthier.